Clare, the eldest daughter of Favorino Scifi and his wife Ortolana, was devoted to prayer and practices of mortification from her earliest years. At the age of eighteen she first heard St. Francis preach and sought him out secretly for spiritual guidance. He immediately recognized her as one chosen by God as destined for great things. On March 20, 1212, Palm Sunday, she left her home and vowed herself to the service of Christ in the presence of St. Francis himself. For a brief period of time she resided in a Benedictine monastery for nuns. When Clare and her sister Agnes moved to the church of San Damiano other women joined them where they were directed by St. Francis and were known as the Poor Ladies. In 1216, Clare accepted the role of abbess and eventually wrote their Rule of Life, the first monastic rule known to have been written by a woman. She cared for St. Francis during his terminal illness until his death in 1226.
Clare died on August 11, 1253 at age 59. She was canonized on August 15, 1255 by Pope Alexander IV. After her death, the religious order became known as the Order of Saint Clare and today is known as the Poor Clares.
It was on this day one year ago (August 11) that our bishop, William P. Callahan, OFM Conventual chose to be installed as our tenth Bishop of La Crosse.
On Thursday of this week, we will celebrate the feast of St. John Vianney, Cure´ of Ars, patron saint of all priests. He was born near Lyons, France on May 8, 1786. His early general education was limited and he found the studies for the seminary quite difficult. With tutoring and perseverance he was ordained on August 13, 1815.
In 1818 he was assigned as the parish priest in the village of Ars where he became known throughout France and the Christian world for his wisdom and spiritual guidance, particularly as a confessor. He was instrumental in healing, particularly of children. His devotion to the Blessed Sacrament is recognized in our own Blessed Sacrament Chapel. His statue is one of six that form the frame for the back drape in the chapel. His statue is on the lower right.
He is quoted: When we go before the Blessed Sacrament let us open our heart; our good God will open His. We shall go to Him; He will come to us, the one to ask, the other to receive. It will be like a breath from One to the other.
The priesthood is the love of the heart of Jesus. Pray for our priests. Pray for vocations.
This window pane is the bottom pane in the first history window on the west side of the nave. The title is taken from Romans and the narrative is from Mark.
“Thus faith comes from what is heard, and what is heard comes through the word of Christ…‘Their voice has gone forth to all the earth, and their words to the ends of the world.’” (Romans 11:17-18)
“...He summoned the Twelve and began to send them out two by two and gave them authority over unclean spirits...” (Mark 6:7-13)
On Monday of this week we celebrate the feast of St. James, one of the Twelve and the first to be martyred around the year 42 spreading the Word of Christ.
Today we celebrate the legacy of Christ and his apostles in a special way. Bishop William P. Callahan, OFM, Conv. will install the twentieth rector of our Cathedral Parish, Father Charles Stoetzel, during the 10:30 am Mass. There will be a reception to greet Father Stoetzel after Mass in the gathering area. Please join us in welcoming him.